Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Maya's First Accident

What a bummer of a day. We started the day at the park, followed by a nice walk at the mall. From there, it was off to Brooke's for a visit with Nash, Jen and Hailey, and Brie and Alex. Brooke had this fun Elmo sprinkler for Nash and Alex. Maya isn't interested in cold water yet. She prefers warm bubbly baths. What a princess. Anyway, we decided to leave at one-ish, and Maya fell asleep on our way out the door. Perfect. No car-meltdowns in the forseeable future. Then - the unthinkable. I go ahead and back right into a parked car that was right across the street from Brooke's driveway. You know how they say, "You should see the other guy!"?? Well, you should, because her damage is minimal, but my back bumper is destroyed. Truly. Here's the thing - we are all okay, Maya didn't even wake up, and it's only money. I feel really stupid though. I mean, I swear I was looking, but clearly not hard enough. Grrrr. That's life I guess, but sheesh, why does life let people park their cars right opposite someone else's driveway?!


"Hey Mom, I like this swing better than the one at home! I always like other babies' stuff more than mine!"


What are you looking at Alex? And what's up with your arm Brie?!


Um, Jen? I don't think Hailey is big enough for you to actually hide behind her...


Nash! I see London, I see France!


"Hey Mom, don't forget that there's a car parked in the street by Brooke's driveway! I foresee you getting into an accident!" Maya, are you a fortune teller?

3 comments:

Brooke said...

You should rename your daughter Claire Voyant Finkel- ha!

auntie nora said...

Don't beat yourself up over a silly accident. According to wikipidia (the ultimate source of all knowledge), there are 5.25 MILLION accidents per year!!!!! I think fender benders are actually LUCKY -- they make you pay more attention later, when something dangerous happens on the road. Think how overconfident you would get if you never had any accidents -- that's more dangerous than any fender bender. And just remember, whatever doesn't kill your car, just makes it stronger. Your fender is just a reminder of how STRONG your car is.

Unknown said...

Marji, that's nothing compared to the moronic things I've done while driving. Just last year I did $1,300 worth of damage to the cleaning lady's car that was parked in our driveway. Of course I did have an excuse. Somehow, Rosa's car had become invisible over the course of the morning. How could I be expected to avoid ramming an invisible car? So I do get a pass on that one. Real truth: If this is the worst mistake you make while driving a car, you're in unbelievably great shape. Life goes on, as will you and your car. But when you tell people the story, consider the invisibility defense. As a lawyer, I think it's a good one. - Grampy

Background